Job Category: Hardware and Store
Job Location: Berkeley
Please note this is subject to change. The purchasing agent plays a critical role by ensuring product availability for customers. Primary responsibilities include ordering merchandise and materials for store use, merchandising and managing inventory. They will be required to coordinate activities with the Hardware Store Supervisor as well as across different departments including the sales, receiving and hardware departments.
Detail orientation, professional attitude and appearance, teamwork and cooperation, dependable, problem solving, computer skills, verbal and written communication skills, process skills, product knowledge retention, time management, business acumen, adaptability.
- replenishment buying; creating purchase orders
- ensure that products assigned to you are in stock at all times
- work to source products from secondary suppliers when main supplier is out of stock
- coordinating/placing special order purchase orders when applicable
- work with Hardware Staff on a daily basis to ensure product is in stock, communication of new products coming in, merchandising product
- work with Sales Staff to source special order products when needed
- maintain a working relationship with fellow employees so that they feel comfortable bringing issues on product outages, defects, etc. to your attention
- consult with Hardware Store Supervisor when bringing in new products
- communicating with vendors to follow through on any errors with purchase orders
- review vendors invoices for accuracy
- coordinate and follow up on supplier returns due to mis-shipped, misordered and defective goods
- implementing price changes
- work with Hardware Store Supervisor to help keep organized back stock areas
- count inventory
- building/maintenance of product SKUs in the computer
- participate in ongoing product knowledge development
- work with management as needed
- follow up with customers on active orders as needed
- work with door shop as needed
- work with the receiving department as needed
- work with the dispatch department as needed
- participate in after-hours sales meetings/training as needed
- work as scheduled by Hardware Store Supervisor on the Hardware sales floor and/or counter
- utilize technology
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to meet or perform the following essential requirements.
- Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft office based products with emphasis on Excel. Knowledge of BisTrack is a plus.
- Language Skills: Proficient in English reading, writing and speaking and uses professional business grammar, communicates in a friendly and helpful manner, fluent in Spanish is a plus
- Math Skills: add, subtract, multiply and divide using whole numbers and fractions and compute rates, ratios, and percents
- Physical Demands: Able to sit or stand for extended periods, converse with people in person and by phone, use a computer, bend and kneel occasionally, walk on uneven ground, walk up stairs, reach and grasp and use tools like a tape measure, ride in and/or drive a car, occasionally be around noisy equipment, lift up to 30 pounds occasionally, work inside or outside, travel
- Mental/Emotional Demands: Able to work closely with others in a team environment, work within deadlines and time constraints, work with demanding people or stressful situations while maintaining a positive attitude
- Training: Some ongoing product training will be required that may involve traveling to the supplier or manufacturer. In house training will be provided on a timely basis and may require mandatory after-hours participation.